HOW TO PRAY EFFECTIVELY FOR JEHOVAH’s WITNESSES
* The first matter to understand is that the battle is spiritual. Ephesians 6:12 say, “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood (your relative/friend) but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in heavenly places.” We are not fighting your loved one. They are in spiritual bondage. We are going to deal with the demonic spirits which blind and deafen them to the truth of the Gospel of God, and which prevent them responding to Him.
* Make sure there is no unconfessed sin in your life. If so, put it right with God, and if possible with anyone else involved.
* Know your authority in Christ to overcome all the power of the evil one. “I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions (demons), and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven,” (Luke 10:19-20).
* If possible, ask another Christian believer to agree with you in prayer. “…If two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven,” (Matthew 18:19). What if you are alone, and have no-one to agree with you? Lori MacGregor (a former cult member who now heads up a Christian ministry to reach people in cults) recommends you ask Jesus to agree with you. Then pray to God in the name of the Saviour Jesus Christ as the Holy Spirit directs you.
* Bind the principal demonic strongman, “The Spirit of Watchtower Deception,” in the name of Jesus Christ. “Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven…” (Matthew 18:18). This is needed to restore the spiritual sight to people. 2 Corinthians 4:4 explains about evil spirits or demons that blind people to the truth. Jesus gives us the delegated authority to deal with those spirits, thereby releasing the person to make their own choices.
Other demonic spirits which need to be bound include; Antichrist, Unbelief, Error, False Doctrine, Confusion, Legalism, Hardness, Harshness, Guilt, Fear of Watchtower Authorities, Fear of Armageddon, etc. (Ask the Holy Spirit for the names or effects caused by these and other demonic spirits, and how to cut off their influence on your loved one.)
* Ask God to release and loose your relative/friend from these demonic spirits and all others that control them. “…Whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven,” (Matthew 18:18). Let me explain the purpose of this. You are merely restoring a level playing field, spiritually. Your attitude should never be to control the person – that is what we are trying to set them free from! 2 Corinthians 4:4 explains about spirits that blind people spiritually. If you are in Christ – in relationship with Jesus – then you have delegated authority to bind those spirits so the person may have their will back.
* Ask the Lord to release your loved one’s emotions, which have been held in fear and bondage for so long. The Holy Spirit will do this gently and lovingly, so that person comes to understand who they really are, and how much Jesus really loves them.
* Be assured that God is now at work in their lives to release them from their bondage. Pray for their salvation, in faith. If the person is a family member, God’s promise to you is to “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved, you and your household,” (Acts 16:31).
If they are not a family member, God provides another promise for you to appropriate in prayer for them. “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise… but is longsuffering towards us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance,” (2 Peter 3:9), and “God our Savior… desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth,” (1 Timothy, 2:4). God’s Word is plain, He doesn’t want your relative/friend in the Watchtower Society to perish, to be wiped out at Armageddon, or on Judgement Day. God wants them saved, and we have a commission from Him to do the job in prayer, and to find out how to share Jesus with them effectively.
* Keep on praying in faith for your loved one. Experience shows that perseverance produces the best results, so don’t be discouraged if there are no positive signs for a while. Ask the Lord to make His word alive to them, to show them the truth, even from the corrupted New World (mis)Translation.
In the very second Witness “Bible Lesson” people are taught that the Devil will try to oppose their study of the Bible with them. When family and friends find out what the person is doing with the Witnesses, most people usually know it is wrong, even if they don’t know why. If you react and condemn the Watchtower as cultic, the Witnesses will have been proved right, and your family member/friend will be confirming this in their minds. You will be known as an “Opposer,” and will have lost your right to speak on matters of religion etc. to your friend. It is highly likely you will be cut off, as though you were dead, and never permitted to communicate with them again.
Try very hard not to make statements, such as “Leave the Watchtower alone, they will screw your mind up,” (even if it is true). Instead, try asking gentle questions so they think they are teaching you. They are being programmed not to listen to “criticism.” For example, the material in this booklet is “Apostate,” and because of the increasing mind-control used, your friend will soon know they are not permitted to read it. Trying to make them will only succeed in cutting you off as a friend. If you force them to make a choice between you and the Watchtower, or even the Bible and the Watchtower, they will almost always choose the Watchtower.
It is most important to prevent people studying with the Witnesses in the first place, because getting people out can take years and much heartache. Seek expert help as early as possible whenever a close friend or family member shows an interest in the Witnesses. Pray for God’s wisdom, which He gives to those who seek Him. I was told by a former Witness they would never have joined the Watchtower if they had been shown this booklet early enough.
PRAYER OF RENUNCIATION & RELEASE
for those previously involved in the Watchtower Society/J. W.’s
(Please pause briefly following each paragraph to allow the Holy Spirit to show any additional issues that He may wish to bring to your attention)
“Father God, creator of the heavens and the earth, I come to you in the name of Jesus Christ your Son. I come as a sinner seeking forgiveness and cleansing from all sins I have committed against you, and against all others made in your image. I honour my earthly father and mother, and all of my ancestors of flesh and blood, and of the spirit by adoption, but I utterly turn away from and renounce all their sins. I forgive all in my family line for the effects of their sins on me and my children. I confess and renounce all of my own sins. I renounce and rebuke Satan and every power of his affecting me and my family.
In the name of Jesus Christ, I renounce every action and word of mine which gave others permission to deceive and control me. I renounce, forsake and break every covenant I have ever made with the Watchtower Society of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I renounce and forsake the false headship and authority of the President and the Governing Body of the Watchtower Society, and their idolatrous usurping of their organization in the place of the Lord Jesus Christ.
In the name of Jesus Christ, I renounce and forsake the heretical writings of Charles Taze Russell, Joseph Rutherford, Nathan Knorr, Frederick Franz, Milton Henchel, John Alden Adams, and all other writings published by the Watchtower Society. Lord Jesus, help me to honour you by removing all these books and publications from my home and life, and I cut off every bondage I have been under because of those writings, in the name of Jesus Christ.
In the name of Jesus Christ I renounce and cut off my life the ungodly Covenants of Baptism and Membership of the Jehovah’s Witnesses; I renounce these and all other ungodly soul ties, and I command the spirits that empower those soul ties to leave me now in the name of Jesus Christ. I gather those soul ties together and sever them through with the Sword of the Spirit of God, and humbly request the blood of Jesus Christ to seal those ends so they will never be able to reconnect.
Lord Jesus, you are the wonderful Counselor, and you know all my problems, all those things that bind, torment, defile and harass me. I now confess that my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, redeemed, cleansed and sanctified by the blood of Jesus Christ.
I ask you, Lord Jesus, to fill me now with your Holy Spirit, so that He will give me insight and understanding when I read and study your Word. I enthrone you, Lord Jesus in my heart, for you are my Lord and Savior, the source of eternal life. Thank you, Father God, for your mercy, your forgiveness and your love, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.”
If you have difficulty going through this prayer, then please contact the publishers listed on page 2 (Jubilee has links with ministries which can assist in most countries world-wide); or contact a competent Christian leader near you to assist you.
Find Bible-believing Christians and spend time with them. Please explain to them you are coming out of a deceptive cult and need their encouragement and support at least until you are firmly on your feet. If some disappoint you (probably through not understanding your need) don’t be put off, for there are caring Christians around who can and will help.
LETTER OF RESIGNATION
If you have ever become a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses (the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society) or been baptized by them, it is important that you send a letter of resignation. I suggest you send your letter to the national office of your country, and a copy to the world headquarters. You could also send a copy to your local Kingdom Hall elders. They also need to know about the real Jesus Christ.
Please use your own words in your letter. You may care to mention you have discovered that Jesus is Jehovah God; that you are now certain of your salvation; that the Watchtower Society and publications had misled you because they contained false prophecies and doctrines; and you can no longer accept the polytheism the Watchtower teaches.
“Unmasking The Watchtower – Who Are The Jehovah’s Witnesses?” by Selwyn Stevens, (ISBN 978-1877463-02-0) published by Jubilee Resource International Inc., PO Box 36-044, Wellington Mail Centre 5045, New Zealand. To obtain copies of this book, please click secure Web Shop.
Copying of this is both permitted and encouraged provided reference is made to where it comes from.
Written testimonies of changed lives also are welcome.
If additional prayer and ministry is required, or information is required about other spiritual deceptions, please contact us by clicking on Jubilee Resources Enquiry Page. For reasons of distance, we may refer you to someone based closer to you. We have counselling referrals available in many countries particularly in North America, New Zealand, Australia and Europe.